Jennifer Rooke, MD, MPH, FACOEM, FACPM
Kayellen Edmonds Umeakunne, MS, RDN, LD
The main therapeutic intervention of the Optimal Health and Wellness clinic is plant-based nutrition. Patients who adopt whole-food plant-based eating habits can expect to see significant health improvements. These improvements include: Healing atherosclerosis which will increase blood flow to vital organ systems and prevent heart attacks and strokes; improved blood glucose control in type 2 diabetes; and a decreased risk of all types of cancer. This webinar explains the hypothesized pathophysiology that underlies health improvements on a plant based diet.
1) Evaluate scientific evidence-based information that supports Plant-Based Nutrition as a viable strategy for achieving optimal health and wellness for patients;
2) Apply step by step guidance on how to educate patients on adopting a plant-based eating pattern;
3) Identify cultural foods that would enhance patient compliance with a plant-based eating pattern; and
4) Critique plant-based nutrition resources available to support medical providers; and
5) Identify provide information on reimbursement for medical nutrition therapy.